Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Light To The World Prayer

Slow me down, O God. Ease the pounding of my heart by the quieting of our mind.

Yet also, wake me up. Shake the complacency out of my soul by opening my mind to the cry of the wounded, the refugees wandering without homes, the homeless at home, and the children who starve.

Steady my hurried pace with a vision of the eternal reach of time;

Yet also, quicken my steps with a vision of the urgent action now required to cure the causes of stunted growth, premature death, battered women, and abused children.

Give me, amid the confusion of the day, the calmness of the everlasting hills;

Yet also, alert my eyes not to the comforting illusion of constancy divorced from change, but rather to such sharp reality as deep poverty surrounding us at home and abroad.
In Jesus' name Amen.

No comments: